Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Divine Vices (Divine Vices #1) by Melissa Parkin

























Summary:

Danger seldom leaves its victims unscathed in the ways of seduction, and this lesson is one that sixteen-year-old Cassie Foster now knows all too well. 

Nine months following the traumatic accident that claimed the life of her mother and sister, this high school junior has at last found a fresh start in the quiet town of New Haven, Maine. In the company of her best friends, Ian and Gwen, she’s bracing the usual turmoil of adolescence and taking all in stride… until the new transfer student, Jackson Matthews, comes walking into her life. He’s arrogant, sarcastic, roguish, devastatingly sexy, and the very last thing Cassie wants to entertain. But when circumstances drive these two together, she finds herself a bit too close for comfort as their bond intensifies. Plagued by unexplainable events, a sudden string of disappearances, and even a cult-related murder, Cassie begins to fear for her life. Is it all just a coincidence that these happenings began when this Casanova strolled into town, or has she in fact fallen for a real lady-killer, or worse? (Via Goodreads.com)


Pages: (e-book) 349


Release Date: November 2nd, 2013


My Rating: 5 stars out of 5 stars


Review:

     Melissa Parkin is a self-published author of the Divine Vices series. She asked me to read and review the Divine Vices. I read the summary for Divine Vices and I was extremely intrigued. I had no idea what to expect. I had never read a self-published book before. But, I had heard stereotypes about self-published books not being good since they were not picked up by major publishing companies. This stereotype should never be mentioned about the Divine Vices. The Divine Vices was fantastic and much better than many other books I have read.  
    Anyway, Divine Vices is based in the first person perspective of 16 year old Cassie Foster. She is such an amazing female character and she is one of my favorite female leads. She is extremely strong willed, feisty, intelligent, and stands her ground. Usually lead female characters let guys walk all over them. But, that is not Cassie. She reminds me of myself by sassing guys and asking for extra credit when she does not need it. Also, a guy calls me Cassie all the time because he knows I hate it when people call me that. 
     I would highly recommend the Divine Vices to anyone but especially if you love The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer trilogy like I do. Like Mara from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Cassie is not sure what is going on and no one believes what she says she is seeing.
     I had two favorite quotes from the Divine Vices. One was mentioned in the prologue, "Sometimes the conscience can be deadlier than any manmade weapon." The other was said by Jack in chapter 11, "That's the problem people have these days. They want to document everything. They always have a camera or a device of some kind glued to their hands, forcing them to spend their experiences seeing things with only one eye...We live our whole lives looking into screens. Don't let those pictures or videos be the only proof you have for yourself to refer to. The mind is a powerful thing. Don't discredit its ability to remember." Both of them are true but especially the second one because I was on a road trip all over the country when I read the Divine Vices and my parents wanted to capture every single moment while I was less enthusiastic with photographs and every so often I took a picture.  
     I am so excited for the next book in the series after the major cliff hanger at the end of Divine Vices and it is expected to be released in November. Overall, the Divine Vices is thrilling, mysterious, creepy, witty, sassy, and has fantastic writing.
~Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment