Saturday, June 13, 2015

BookCon 2015



After my experience at BookCon 2014, I did not expect to be returning the following year; however, I am so glad I went this year. BookCon 2015 was more organized, less chaotic and the only problems my family and I ran into were not the conventions fault; rather the authors' and exhibitors' problems.  

I received so many more books at BookCon 2015 than BookCon 2014. Last year I got a total of six books, two of which I bought and two were e-books. This year I managed to snag a whopping total of 50 books. Out of those 50, I paid for five of them and one was brought from home. However, a little less than half of those 50 books are either duplicates or books I discovered that I have no interest in, so keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming giveaway. 



Current BookCon Related Giveaways:



Unlike last year, BookCon was two days this year, allowing me to meet double the authors and double my chances of scoring some of the hottest upcoming/current titles of 2015. 






Once the doors opened at 10:00am, my family and I rushed to the Penguin Random House booth where Nicola Yoon was signing ARCs of Everything, Everything.

(Me, Nicola Yoon)


After wandering around the show floor for an hour, my dad and I went to Jennifer L. Armentrout's signing of White Hot Kiss. Although I could have skipped Jennifer's signing in favor of a panel I wanted to see since I have met Jennifer four times previously and own White Hot Kiss, I could not pass up the opportunity to see Jen. I absolutely love going to Jen's signings, she is insanely funny, sassy and sweet. It always makes me smile when I talk to her and I could never consider anything a book convention if I did not stop by and see her.

(Me, Jennifer L. Armentrout)


While I was with Jennifer, my mom and aunt waited patiently in line for Colleen Hoover, K.A. Tucker and Abbi Glines' signing for me. Once Jen's signing was over, I rushed downstairs and was able to meet all three authors. Colleen was the only author of the three that I had read and I even brought my own copy of Ugly Love for her to sign. I think she would have personalized my copy of Ugly Love because she seemed to have been staring at me expectantly, but I was so in awe of meeting her that I totally blanked. Along with Colleen, I also got K.A. Tucker and Abbi Glines to sign bookplates. I really wanted a picture with both K.A. Tucker and Abbi Glines but the people in charge of the line were rushing us along. 

(Me, Colleen Hoover)
(Abbi Glines, K.A. Tucker)


After lunch and major anger towards Marissa Meyer and Leigh Bardugo's signing being capped, I waited three hours in line to see Richelle Mead. I have been dreaming of meeting Richelle Mead for over three years when I first started reading the Vampire Academy series. Richelle Mead is the author of my favorite series, Bloodlines, and she is releasing her first standalone novel, Soundless, this November. Not only did I not want to miss out on meeting one of my favorite authors, but I needed to have an ARC of Soundless, which was what she was giving out with the purchase of The Ruby Circle, so it was crucial that I was near the front of the line. Thankfully, I managed to get an ARC of Soundless, but the signing was not as magical as I had originally imagined. I understand that no one is in the greatest mood all the time, but hers was unacceptable. Not only myself, but many others sat and waited around for three hours on hard cement just to see her and all she would only sign The Ruby Circle, not Soundless, she also refused to pose for pictures and she barely spoke to us. I apologize if I sound ungrateful because I did get to meet her and receive an ARC, but I waited three hours for that when I could have been seeing someone else that would have been more appreciative. The only reason she is where she is at is because of fans and she should take better care of us.  If, by a long shot, she was to come visit a city near me on an upcoming tour, I really do not think I would attend, I was really put off by her, which was extremely unfortunate. 

(Me, Richelle Mead)

(Campbell and Me with Soundless)





Although Saturday ended on a rough note, Sunday morning began on a better one. Sadly, I did not reach the Javits' Center before they capped Sarah J. Mass' signing line, but I waited in Rae Carson's line and I got a signed ARC of Rae's newest trilogy, A Walk on Earth a Stranger. 

(Me, Rae Carson)



When I reached the show floor after Rae, I immediately went to the Penguin Random House booth to get in line for Maureen Johnson's signing of The Shadow Cabinet. Maureen Johnson was one of the first authors I read and loved when I first began to read a lot in the sixth grade. There was no way I was going to miss the opportunity to meet her and thank her for helping me become who I am. 

(Me, Maureen Johnson)


While I was with Maureen Johnson, my parents showed up with a signed copy of Let's Get Lost by Adi Alsaid. They had followed my handy schedule and went to his signing for me. 

(Adi Alsaid)


After Maureen's signing and some time spent at the Epic Read's booth, which was by far my favorite booth, my mom and I got in line to get a signed Throne of Glass litograph poster by Sarah J. Maas. I met Sarah in late February at ApollyCon and I am glad I got the opportunity to meet her again. She was really sweet and the poster was gorgeous.   




Surprisingly, I had a fantastic time at BookCon 2015 and I am extremely saddened by the fact that BEA and BookCon will be moving to Chicago next year. There is a slight possibility I could attend next year but I am still unsure if I will or not. 

I want to thank all the amazing authors and exhibitors for attending BookCon and making it such a great convention. I loved meeting fellow readers and bonding while in insanely long lines. The two books I am most excited to read out of my pile of 50 are Soundless by Richelle Mead and A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis. If you attended BookCon, what books were you most excited receiving and who were you the most excited to meet?


3 comments:

  1. Casey! This review is awesome! :)
    That's such a shame that Richelle Mead acting the way she did. In fact, it's absolutely unacceptable. An author's fans are everything to the author, and to put them down is a true shame. I realize I'm a new author, but anytime a fan emails me, or wants to have a photo with me, I drop everything and talk to them. It just makes sense!
    Besides that, it looks like you had a pretty good time, Case! :) I'm hoping someday you and I can go to BookCon, and maybe (just maybe) *fingers crossed* I'll have the chance to give fans my books :). In fact, if I ever get to that point, I'd like you to come with me, Casey! There are not many people out there who appreciate novels like you do!
    -Kylee Carrier

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I've finally gotten around to checking out your blog and I love it.

    Super jealous that you went to BookCon. Also super jealous you got a signed copy of Let's Get Lost (which, as you know, I could not put down!).

    I adore Richelle Mead's writing, but her behavior was incredibly unacceptable. She's only gotten as far as she has because of her fans, so she could at least act decently towards them.

    On a different note, I totally can't wait for the day you might possibly review my books (if I ever finish one haha)!

    Miss you tons, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!! I have a million questions before Bookcon Chicago this year. I was wondering how did you get so many free books? And how did you meet all these authors? I know a lot of books you had people get signed for you. How much time did you get with the author? About 10 seconds? It sounds pretty long if you get to say hello and get a picture. I'm surprised because all the signings are an hour long, and I don't know how they'll ever fit a signing of thousands in one hour. Did you have that problem? Or did they give each author more time since there was two days? What do you recommend for meeting the most authors and getting the most books? How long and crazy were booth signings? My contact information is on my blog at spontaneously-splendid.blogspot.com if you'd like to just email me all the answers, or if you could reply that'd be great! I know I have a million questions. Xx

    ReplyDelete